New Jersey Stage

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Cancer benefit for Danny Amis of Los Straitjackest at Maxwells on 6/29

(HOBOKEN, NJ) -- Danny Amis, also know as "Daddy O Grande" of the legendary surf instrumental group Los Straitjackets, has been valiantly battling Multiple Myeloma. On June 29th Maxwell's in Hoboken is hosting a special benefit concert to help Danny with his mounting medical expenses. The show will feature a special reunion performance from Danny's old band The Raybeat as well as performances from Ira Kaplan and Georgia Hubley of Yo La Tengo,The Individuals, The Purple Knif, and The Tall Lonesome Pines plus many other dear friends and special guests.

There is a suggested $15 donation at the door. Tickets are also available via ticketFly at: http://www.ticketfly.com/purchase/event/44675

Danny Amis Benefit Shows
JUNE 7, 2011 Mayan Theatre Los Angeles, CA
JUNE 9, 2011 Mercy Lounge Nashville, TN
JUNE 9, 2011 Fitzgeralds Berwyn, IL
JUNE 25, 2011 Lees Minneapolis, MN
**JUNE 29, 2011 Maxwells Hoboken, NJ
JULY 8, 2011 TBA Mexico City, MX


A message from Danny Amis:
Dear Friends...
I can't thank you enough for your generosity. Thanks to your help, and the upcoming benefit shows, I no longer need to stress out over my medical bills. THANK YOU AGAIN!!!
As many of you know, I was diagnosed with Cancer in 2010. This forced me to stop working and touring. The type of cancer I've been told I have is called "Multiple Myeloma", cancer of the bone marrow. I was caught off guard without insurance, but thankfully was able to obtain insurance
through the Affordable Care Act which passed congress last year and for which I am eternally grateful. Without that insurance I wouldn't have been able to get a necessary procedure to save my life called a Stem Cell Transplant. I underwent that procedure in May, and it seems to have been successful. I now face a couple of months of recovery.

Your generosity has helped immensely, it's a very expensive procedure. Unfortunately, high medical costs are something I'll have to face the rest of my life, as this disease is incurable. I can only hope to knock it into remission for a while. Again, I can't thank you enough for your help!

No comments:

Post a Comment